Friday, June 01, 2007

Note to Self

My kids (who are just finishing 2nd and 5th grade, next week) have spent the past few years in a curriculum based around six reading strategies:
  • Predicting
  • Summarizing
  • Inferring
  • Imaging
  • Asking Questions
  • Connecting
Surely all of these (except maybe "summarizing"?) could be deployed in reading poems as well. In fact, since poems are short, they're ideal for such work--better than some of the non-fiction texts that my kids had to use.

What poems--for kids or for adults--could we plug into this sort of curriculum? If I could write that up, I could hand it to the teachers, and we'd be ready to roll!

1 comment:

Mark Scroggins said...

I know some crusty new critical type will rap my knuckles with the heresy of paraphrase, but I find "summarizing" a pretty damned important step at least for most of my undergraduates tackling poetry. What, roughly speaking, does the poem say/do? What's the point A from which it gets to point B? These seem like terrifically useful places at least to start, even before one begins the nuts 'n' bolts of close reading.

(from CBOM territory...)