Monday, February 25, 2008

Letters to Friends

Dear Dr. Laura,

I see what you mean about my singling out the doumbek. I'd muse on that awhile here, but want to get a minute or two of music in today, so this will be the briefest of notes. Can I play for half an hour a night now? No. Can I play for ten minutes? Five minutes? One minute? Perhaps if I set my sights low enough--say, one song on one of them every day, no matter how briefly or badly--we'll reconcile, the instruments and I.

Nothing but good times ahead,
E

***

Dear Mark,

Just a joy to see you in Louisville! It sounds like you had a grand time on Sunday, after I left--post those pictures over at your blog for me, and I'll swing by for a look. Since you're here, let me make good on that promise to introduce you to Flight of the Conchords, New Zealand's fourth most popular folk-parody duo. To most of the conference they were very old news; I'm glad I'm slightly ahead of someone, even if I haven't heard any Radiohead (yet).

Here's one song, just to whet your appetite. You can swing over to YouTube and find more, but it might be more fun to let me post them here, and mediate the introduction. (That way, when in doubt, I'll have something to post, no?)

So, without further ado, it's Business Time:



Love to P, D, & J,
E

2 comments:

Mark Scroggins said...

Well, if conferencing did nothing else, it's jump-started yr blogging -- or maybe the treadmill did that. (I sometimes think of Ron S's blog as being produced by some method of treadmill labor...)

But the good time was had on Saturday, not Sunday (that was travelling time) -- well, I guess a good four or five hours of it was technically Sunday...

J finds the Conchords video enormously funny, which is more than I can say for most of the YouTube *I* inflict on her. But damn you--I need to be grading midterms, not cycling thru endless hilarious Kiwi songs!

Laura Vivanco said...

Dear Eric,

I'm glad to see that you've adopted the optimistic motto "nothing but good times ahead." I'm sure it can only improve your relationships with your instruments. It's also good to learn that you're thinking about possible compromises you could make in order to keep those relationships strong. Maybe you could read some romances to bolster this new-found sense of optimism and so discover "authentic happiness"?

Best wishes

Dr. Laura